We’ve had to wait a long time for The Lytton Arms to re-open, but on Thursday the 17th May the day we’ve all been waiting for arrived. The Lytton Arms was once again open for business.
The pub has been upgraded in many ways, some visible, some less so:
- the kitchen has been totally refurbished and is now state of the art,
- the cellar has been re-fitted and can accommodate nine cask ales and a cask cider,
- the old conservatory with the fly-catching nets has gone, and in its place is a modern, warm replacement,
- the outside area (where the beer festival casks were set up) is now opened out right through to the boundary with the fields. This is a huge improvement on the old garden, and is perfect for this time of year,
- every square centimetre of paintwork has been renewed, and the colour scheme modernised,
- the roof and structural features of the building have all been fixed!
There are probably more improvements, but the main thing for me is that the pub now has plenty of beer, quick food service, a 50% discount on food until the end of the month (search for the code, but you’ll probably get it anyway if you ask), and a marvellous buzz of local residents enjoying a quiet drink in comfortable surroundings.
Jason has now taken over the running of the pub, with a very able team, which includes Stef, who will be familiar to all the regulars from the late James Price’s time running The Lytton. The pub is now part of Anglian Country Inns, a highly professional operation run by Cliff Nye, brother of Steve Nye, former landlord at the pub.
Current beers include Fat Sprat by Adnams, Koha by Mad Squirrel, Happy People by Shiny People, Nelson’s Revenge by Woodfords, Hawse Buckler by Oakham, Bring Me Sunshine by Tring, Lucky Lobster by Brancaster (part of AC Inns), Tiki Blonde by Mad Squirrel, Squid Ink by XT, Take 5 by Harpoon and Affligem by De Smelt as well as Rapple, a Raspberry cider by Apple Cottage. However, even as I type this some of these brews will have been replace. It’s very unlikely you’ll visit and not find anything interesting to drink.
The Lytton now has its own social media presence: on Instagram, on Facebook and on Twitter. Start hitting those ‘Follow’ buttons now for the latest offers!